Release: December 2000
Edition Quantity: 3,500
Dimensions: 10.5 inches Long
Engine Company 102 of the Chicago Fire Department was organized on September 5, 1906 in a single bay fire station at 7077 North Clark Street in the far Northeast corner of the city. The area was beginning to expand and additional fire protection was needed.
In 1915, the company was moved to the fire station it presently occupies at 1723 West Greenleaf Avenue. In 1926, Truck Company 25 also moved into the quarters to provide ladder protection for the rapidly growing neighborhood. Engine 102 was one of the first engine companies to be motorized when they received a 1912 Webb pumping engine, the only Webb that the CFD ever had in service. A new 1915 Seagrave 750 gpm pumper was assigned to the company when they moved into the new station. Today, the company is assigned a new 1999 HME/Luverne 1500 gpm pumper which also has a 500 gallon water tank. Engine 102 protects the very diverse neighborhood on Chicago's Northeast Side known as 'Rogers Park.' In addition to protecting the heavy commercial strips that line streets such as North Clark, Devon and Howard, the company provides protection for lake front high rises and many multi-unit apartment buildings. 102's district extends from Pratt Avenue on the south to the city's border with Evanston on the north and from Western Avenue on the west to Lake Michigan on the east. The company logo 'Border Patrol' reflects the district border with neighboring Evanston.
Engine 102 is one of Chicago's 27 ALS (Advanced Life Support) Engine Companies. It is led by Captain Gregory Mieling and two Lieutenants. Staffing consists of 3 Engineers, 3 Fire Fighter/Paramedics and 15 Fire Fighters and Fire Fighter EMT's. During 1999, Engine 102 responded to 2,277 alarms of which 1,170 were for fires.
More images available, click to enlarge.
All Code 3 Fire
Trucks & Emergency Vehicles are:
Mint in Dome