Code 3 Boston Firehouse Engine Co. 24 (13105)
This is Item #13105
Release: June 2001
Edition Quantity: Limited Edition
Dimensions: 13.5L X 9.5W X 9H (in.)
The firehouse at 36 Washington Street, Grove Hall, Dorchester was opened on November 8, 1898 and occupied by a newly organized fire company. This company was Combination Ladder 6 and it was equipped with a new Fire Extinguisher Manufacturing Company horse drawn truck. This was a combination City Service ladder truck, which was also equipped with chemical tanks.
In April 1905, the name was changed to Ladder Co. 23. When the firehouse was built, it was equipped with nice arched doorways and nice Dutch doors. In later years, the doors were widened and the front windows were changed.
On August 9, 1910, a major fire occurred off Albany Street that eventually spread to the Fire Department Repair Shop. Some apparatus was removed but others were lost. Ladder Co. 23's truck was destroyed. They were assigned a new American LaFrance horse drawn city service truck in December 1910.
On May 14, 1913, Chemical Co. 5 was organized at 36 Washington Street and they were equipped with a new American LaFrance motorized combination chemical and hose wagon. They remained in service until they were disbanded on October 13, 1922.
On August 20, 1923, Ladder Co. 23 was assigned a new American LaFrance City Service ladder truck that was equipped with a 35-gallon chemical tank. This unit re-placed the horse-drawn ladder truck.
On October 23, 1922, the department was divided into 3 divisions again and the 3rd Division was moved from Ladder Co. 4 on Dudley Street to the quarters of Ladder Co. 23 in Grove Hall where they would remain until February 4, 1947.
The 3rd Division was again reorganized on January 19, 1949 and returned to Ladder Co. 23.
A major reorganization of the entire fire department took place on March 31, 1954. The 3rd Division was again disbanded and the city would operate with two fire divisions.
Lighting Plant 2 was established and placed at the quarters of Ladder Co. 23 on October 9, 1947. They were equipped with a new Mack truck with a body built by Lacey of Medford, Mass. They only remained at Grove Hall until January 21, 1948 when they moved downtown to Bowdoin Square. On the same day, Lighting Plant 3 moved to Grove Hall from Bowdoin Square. All three of the Lighting Plants ran identical 1947 Mack/Lacey units.
The department photographer was established in 1946 and the office and darkroom were located on the top floor at Grove Hall. When a new firehouse was built on Neponset Avenue, Dorchester in 1959, the photographer moved to the newer quarters.
Lighting Plant 3 remained in Grove Hall until they were placed in reserve on May 1, 1956.
On October 25, 1972 Rescue Co. 2 was reestablished and the 'RPU' became a straight rescue company. Rescue Co. 2 moved to a new firehouse on Blue Hill Avenue on August 16, 1973.
On the next day, Engine Co. 24 moved from their firehouse on Warren Street, which was about ¾ of a mile away, to Grove Hall and their 100-year-old firehouse was closed.
During the winter months of 1996, both companies moved out as a new floor and other improvements were made. Ladder Co. 23 moved in with Engine Co. 52 and Ladder Co. 29 on Blue Hill Avenue and Engine Co. 24 moved in with Engine Co. 16 on Gallivan Blvd.
At the present time, Engine Co. 24 is assigned a 1999 Emergency One 1250 pump and Ladder Co. 23 is assigned a 1997 Emergency One 110' rear mount aerial.
One member of Ladder Co. 23 has died in the line of duty. Firefighter Robert Greene died on November 27, 1978 from injuries he received at Box 3323 on November 25, 1978 for a fire in a building on Alpha Road.
Fire Lt. George J. Gottwald of 'the Rescue Pumper Unit' (Engine Co. 13) died of injuries he received while operating at Box 2124, 3 alarms, for a fire in the basement of a carpet store at 2235 Washington Street on March 3, 1970.
Two other members of Engine Co. 13 have died, Hoseman George J. Corcoran in 1930 and Hoseman Martin F. McDonald in 1899.
Two members of Engine Co. 24 have died in the line of duty. Lt. John J. McCorkle and Firefighter Francis Murphy died from injuries they received while operating at Box 1671, 5 alarms, on October 1, 1964 for the collapse of the front wall of a vacant toy factory. Five members died here and one civilian 'spark'.
One member of Engine Co. 13 and another member of Engine Co. 24 have received the 'John E. Fitzgerald Medal For Most Meritorious Act' for the years 1967 and 1979. Two members of Ladder Co. 23 and three members of Engine Co. 13 have received the 'Walter Scott Medal For Valor.' Two members of Ladder Co. 23 and one member of Rescue Co. 2 have received the 'Patrick J. Kennedy Medal Of Honor'
A total of 28 members have had their names placed on the 'Roll Of Merit.'
|More images available, click to enlarge.|
| || |