Release: March 2000
Edition Quantity: 5,000
The BWI F&RD was organized in 1958 when Baltimore City took over the airport
from the military. At this time the airport was known as Friendship
International Airport. In 1974 the state of Maryland took over the airport
renaming it Baltimore Washington International.
The BWI F&RD response area is approximately 10 square miles. In this area are
hotels, cargo buildings, terminal buildings, rail stations and other aviation
related buildings. The F&RD respond to over 2000 calls a year. The F&RD also
handles Hazmat and confine space rescues.
There are 52 firefighters, 16 paramedics and 2 civilians operating out of 1
large station. All firefighters are NFPA 1003 airport firefighters and all
officers are NFPA 1021 Fire Officers II, at a minimum. All paramedics are EMTB
National Registered Paramedics. There are 20 Confined Space Rescue certified
personnel and 20 Hazmat Techs.
The following is the equipment list
4 Oshkosh crash trucks 3000 gal units
1 E-one Quint 75 ft. aerial, 1250 pump
1 Pierce rescue squad
1 E-one paramedic ambulance
1 GMC Jimmy paramedic chase vehicle
1 GMC Jimmy Command vehicle
1 Chevy brush unit
1 Ford/Hackney foam/Hazmat support vehicle
More images available, click to enlarge.
All Code 3 Fire
Trucks & Emergency Vehicles are:
Mint in Dome