Release: March 2002
Edition Quantity: 5,000
THE CHICAGO FIRE DEPARTMENT
The Chicago Fire Department was established as a paid department in August 1858.
This made the city's volunteer fire companies part of the fully paid
The first substantial piece of apparatus employed by the paid department was the
steamer 'Long John', manufactured by Silsbuy and named in honor of then Mayor
'Long John' Wentworth. The city's first motorized apparatus was a 1907 Seagrave,
but full motorization did not begin until 1920 and was completed with Engine 11
Led by Fire Commissioner James T. Joyce, the 5,177 uniformed and civilian
members of the CFD of today, staff 98 land engine companies, 59 truck companies
(including 10 tower ladders and one aerial tower), four squad companies, 59
advanced life support (ALS) ambulances and one fireboat. The department
comprises 24 battalions in seven districts protecting a 287-square-mile area
with a population of 2.7 million. The CFD responded to 393,400 alarms in 1997.
Today, the department has a fleet of 525 vehicles of all types and sizes. The
1998 apparatus purchase plan included four new engines, three rear-mount
aerials, six sedans, eight ambulances and new equipment for the squad companies.
More images available, click to enlarge.
All Code 3 Fire
Trucks & Emergency Vehicles are:
Mint in Dome