Release: January 2001
Edition Quantity: 3,000
The Clark County Fire Department officially began on November 23, 1953. On
January 1, 1954, Station 11 (the first permanent station) opened to replace the
earlier facility. It had one 1953 Seagrave 750 gpm pumper operated by two crews.
The two stall building cost $33,000. The nine man department worked a 96 hour
Today the department is the largest one in Nevada with 650 paid personnel and
400 volunteers. Paid personnel respond from 16 stations in the Las Vegas valley,
two in Laughlin, and one in Jean, Nevada. The volunteers are located in 13 rural
communities outside of the Las Vegas area.
The department's signature impact on fire and life safety is the Retrofit Code
that was developed following the MGM Hotel fire in 1980 and the Hilton Hotel
fire in 1981. Since then, there has not been a fire related life loss in a high
rise building in Clark County.
All Code 3 Fire
Trucks & Emergency Vehicles are:
Mint in Dome