Code 3 FDNY Firehouse Engine Co. 235 (13100)
This is Item #13100
Release: October 2000
Edition Quantity: Limited Edition
Dimensions: 13.75L X 5.75W X 9.5H (in.)
History Of Engine 235
Fire Department Of New York
By Michael Boucher
Over 100 years ago, Engine 235 was not known as 235 and was not part of the Fire Department of New York. It was the 35th engine company placed in service by the City of Brooklyn, the fourth largest city in the country at the time. The Brooklyn Fire Department was organized on September 15, 1869 with a paid force of thirteen engine and six ladder companies. They replaced fifty-three volunteer fire companies that protected only half of what is Brooklyn today. The rest of Brooklyn was made up of small towns that had their own fire departments and were annexed by Brooklyn in 1894.
Engine 35 was placed in service on July 1, 1895 in new quarters at 206 Monroe Street. Also on the same day, Engine 36 was placed in service in the East New York section of Brooklyn. Both companies were added to fill in the gaps in fire protection. Engine 35 filled the hole between Engine 9 to the north, Engine 22 to the east, Engine 14 to the south and Engine 19 to the west.
The 25-feet wide by 100-feet deep lot was purchased on August 28, 1894 from the Bedford Bank of Brooklyn for $3,000. The new building cost $16,365 to build. The three-story firehouse had a single door for the exit of the apparatus. On the first floor, a house watch desk was located to the right of the apparatus door and an entrance doorway was located to the left of the apparatus door. A one-story addition for the horse stalls was attached to the rear. Behind the station was a one-story building to store the feed and hay for the horses. On the second floor in the front were the Captain's quarters and office. The rest of the floor was the bunkroom and lockers for the crew. The third floor was a sitting and recreation room.
Engine 235's first horse drawn apparatus was a new 1895 LaFrance 3rd size steamer that could pump around 500-600 gallons per minute. In 1917, the company received a new 1917 Robinson 700 gpm piston pumping engine, thus ending the era of horse-drawn engines. Over the years, Engine 235 has used apparatus built by American LaFrance, International, Mack, Seagrave, and Ward LaFrance. Today the company responds with a 1994 Seagrave that can pump 1000 gallons per minute.
Today, Engine 235 shares its quarters with Battalion 57. Battalion 57 was organized on November 29, 1969 to help cover the heavy workload of the area.
Three members of Engine 235 have been awarded medals for rescuing people trapped in fires. The Brooklyn Citizens Medal went to Lieutenant John D. McDonald for a rescue he made on January 17, 1943. A second Brooklyn Citizens Medal was awarded to Lieutenant William J. McGraw on January 13, 1952. Firefighter Dennis W. Williams received the Chief Wesley Williams Medal for a rescue he made on March 3, 1985. In addition, Battalion Chief Raymond M. Brown of Battalion 57 earned the Captain Denis W. Lane Memorial Medal for heroic work on August 29, 1982. Also, Engine 235 has earned 25 Unit Citations for teamwork at fires over the years.
Two members of the house have been killed in the line of duty protecting the citizens of New York City. Fireman Ernest J. Marquart of Squad 3 died from injuries he received while operating at Brooklyn Box 670, located at the corner of Myrtle Avenue and Walworth Street, on June 26, 1964. Fireman James W. Robertson of Engine 235 suffered a heart attack on July 8, 1975 while operating at a second alarm Fire at 1190 Fulton Street.
Engine 235 was the first company to be trained for CFR-D when the Fire Department took over Emergency Medical Services in 1995. The first day, Engine 235 responded to 25 EMS runs and two 'All Hands' fires in a 24-hour period.
Engine 235 has been faithfully protecting the citizens of Brooklyn for over 100 years, regardless of the number, whether 35, 135 or 235. As the community changed from rural to densely populated, the dedication of the members in the firehouse on Monroe Street has never changed. No matter what the need is, whether air in a bicycle, a safe haven for a child, a cut Finger or a battle with the 'Red Devil,' Engine 235 can be and will be counted on to serve with pride and dedication.
|More images available, click to enlarge.|
| || |