Release: May 1999
Edition Quantity: 5,000
The Miami-Dade Fire Department was organized in 1935 as a 'fire patrol'
consisting of only one employee and one truck under the direction of the
Agriculture Department. But this patrol grew rapidly, and by 1957 it encompassed
51 employees, 10 stations and 12 pieces of apparatus.
In 1958 the fire patrol became a division of the Dade County Public Safety
Department, and two years later the inaugural class of 15 firefighters graduated
from the new fire college.
Over the years, the department's growth has been a reflection of Dade County's
continuous population expansion and it's numerous mergers with municipal
departments. In 1965, the Metropolitan Dade County Fire Department (MDFD) was
created. A medical rescue service program was implemented in 1973, adding the
word Rescue to the department's name. The department's lime green color was seen
on response vehicles the following year.
More images available, click to enlarge.
All Code 3 Fire
Trucks & Emergency Vehicles are:
Mint in Dome