Release: July 2002
Edition Quantity: 5,004
The Violetville Volunteer Fire Department came into being when residents of the local community came together in 1907 to discuss their options after horrible destruction caused by the Great Baltimore fire. They concluded that their community needed a fire service of it's own. A hose reel was obtained from the Relay Fire Company, who had just placed a new wagon in service. The Baltimore County Commissioners donated five hundred feet of 2' hose for the reel. The community residents hosted a picnic to start raising funds for a permanent firehouse. Local resident Henry Schaefer opened his barn for storage of the hose reel and his parlor for meetings until the firehouse could be erected, and the newest fire department in Baltimore was born.
The name Violetville came from thousands of violets that flooded the nearby fields. In 1911, after five years of work, the members opened their new station on October 21. The new firehouse was located on Whittemore Avenue at the entrance to the Joh Farm. The date of incorporation was 1907, and the departments joined the Baltimore County Volunteer Firemen's Association at that time.
More images available, click to enlarge.
All Code 3 Fire
Trucks & Emergency Vehicles are:
Mint in Dome