Release: April 2003
Edition Quantity: 1,500
Columbus Fire Department
Columbus became a city on March 3, 1834, with a population of about 2500 people.
The new City Council passed an ordinance on June 11, 1835, which created a
company of fire guards, a protection and salvage company, a hook and ladder
company, an engine company, a hose company, and a company of fire wardens.
Council also appropriated $1000 to build a new engine house.
Today the Columbus Division of Fire operates and maintains:
• A Paramedic/Engine concept in which a trained, fully equipped paramedic is on
every engine company.
• Full time accredited Training Academy.
• Fire Alarm Dispatching Office handling over 136,000 calls a year.
• Hazardous Materials Response Team.
• The Bomb Squad is the Largest Non Department-of-Defense Bomb Squad in the U.S.
• 31 Station Houses throughout the City housing 33 Engines, 16 Ladders, 32 EMS
(Advanced Life Support Transport Units), 5 Heavy Rescues, 8 Rescue Boats.
• Full range of services including inspection, prevention, investigation and
community based programs.
Ladder 2 is a 1999 Sutphen Platform housed at Station 2. Built in 1962, Station
2 is located at 150 East Fulton Street.
More images available, click to enlarge.
All Code 3 Fire
Trucks & Emergency Vehicles are:
Mint in Dome