Code 3 FDNY ENGINE 40 MARAUDER II (12567)
Release: April 2011
Edition Quantity: 4,000
FDNY ENGINE COMPANY 40 2008 SEAGRAVE MARAUDER II PUMPER
Engine Company 40 was originally organized as Suburban Engine 40, of the newly organized paid Metropolitan Fire Department, on December 30, 1865. The few Suburban engines and hook & ladders still had some volunteers, with paid men being allowed to have outside employment. They were quartered in the firehouse of the former volunteer Fort Washington Engine 27, at 1907 Amsterdam Avenue, between West 154th and West 155th Street, in a then rural area of Upper Manhattan. They were disbanded on January 1, 1868, with Engine Company 38 being organized on that day at the same location. Engine 40 was reorganized as a regular Engine Company on July 29, 1874, in a temporary location known as The Rink, at 2nd Avenue & East 63rd Street on Manhattans East Side. They were moved a few days later to Manhattans West Side to a then new firehouse at 153 West 68th Street on August 4, 1874. On November 6, 1961, together with Ladder Company 35, they moved to their unusual new firehouse located on the ground level, within the Lincoln Center Entertainment complex, with their address being 131 Amsterdam Avenue, at 66th Street. In 2009, they responded to 3,484 alarms, of which 2,641 were classed as workers.
Engine 40 has a 2008 Seagrave Marauder II 2000 gpm pumper, placed in service there on November 16, 2008 and carrying FDNY registration number SP08007. This replaced a 1997 Seagrave 1000 gpm pumper (SP9718), which then became a spare. Their 2008 Seagrave is one of thirty identical 2000 gpm Marauder II pumpers, plus one additional high pressure pumper, classed as 2008 models. There are also 40 identical 2000 gpm Marauder IIs classed as 2009s. An additional twenty-eight similar are being delivered and classed as 2010s. The one assigned to Engine Company 40 has some unusual graphics including the company numbers painted to resemble rocks, found in caves.
|More images available, click to enlarge.|