Release: May 2000
Edition Quantity: 3,000
The history of the Los Angeles County Fire Department started in the late 1800's
with the formation of three separate departments. The County Forester,
responsible for planting and maintaining the landscape, the County Fish and Game
Warden, responsible for protecting the wildlife and the County Fire Warden who
was first appointed in 1906.
In 1919, over 135,000 acres of wildland fires blackened the County of Los
Angeles, prompting the merging of the three separate Departments, resulting in a
much greater emphasis on fire suppression. Between 1923 and 1925, 31 separate
fire districts were formed, creating what would later become the Los Angeles
County Fire Department.
Today, the Department is unified into one Consolidated Fire Protection District
serving 54 district cities and providing services to all of the unincorporated
areas of Los Angeles County. With 158 Engine Companies, 28 Truck Companies, and
73 Paramedic Units, fire protection and life safety services are provided to
over 3.5 million residents in 1.1 million housing units spread out over 2,278
square miles of Los Angeles County.
Fire Chief P. Michael Freeman
More images available, click to enlarge.
All Code 3 Fire
Trucks & Emergency Vehicles are:
Mint in Dome