This is Item #12291
Release: September 2001
Edition Quantity: 5,004
History Of Volunteer Hose Company No. 2
In the latter part of 1913, it was determined that there was a definite need for
a fire company in the Village of West Haverstraw. Louis Adler, Bert Towers and
William Curran, Sr. organized what was later to become Volunteer Hose Company
No. 2. Early in 1915, the Village Board, with Louis Adler as Mayor, approved the
formation of the Volunteer Fire Company. The company was incorporated June 14,
1915 and Bert Towers was elected as the first chief.
The newly formed company immediately purchased a piece of land for $500.
Construction of the original building began in 1919. The members did most of the
labor with some outside help donated. A fire at the Fowler Brickyard aided the
building program and saved the company considerable expense. In appreciation for
their efforts, Mr. Fowler told the firemen that they could have all the bricks
they needed for their new firehouse. This set a good precedent as most of the
other brickyards then also donated bricks. Financial help was received from the
Village Board with the appropriation of $8,000 toward the cost of materials and
hired labor that was necessary. When completed, the building was turned over to
the Village of West Haverstraw.
The first piece of equipment used by the company was a hand hose cart acquired
by Louis Adler in 1915. The Village purchased the first new piece of mechanical
equipment in 1925. It was a chain driven Bulldog Mack Pumper. William Curran,
Sr. was the proud chief at the time. The 'Old Mack' as it was called, remained
in service for 25 faithful years. In 1949, a new Mack 500 pumper was purchased
and replaced the 'Old Mack'. Then in 1965, the village replaced the 500 Mack
with a 1,000 gpm Mack, pumper that became the company's pride and joy. The 1965
Mack known as 23-1000, remained in service until the year 2000. Through the
years, the company held many fundraisers and on their own was able to purchase a
1976 Ford F-350. This vehicle was used for transporting equipment and was known
as 23-patrol. Our Village has grown tremendously over the years. To meet these
needs, the village acquired 23-1500, a 1981 1,500 GPM Mack pumper. It was
purchase to work side by side with 23-1000. In 1991, the company was pleased to
show off their new piece of fire fighting apparatus, a Ford Rescue called
23-RESCUE. This unit replace 23-PATROL, which had given many years of faithful
service. In the year 2000, the village purchase the company's new pride and joy,
23-1501, a Sutphen, 1,500 gpm pumper which replaced the aging 23-1000.
Company No. 2 is proud of their rich history and of the job well done by the
members and village officials through the years.