LADDER COMPANY 43, FDNY
Ladder Co. 43 was originally known as Hook and Ladder 43 and was organized on
November 27, 1913, in a big three door firehouse at 240-244 East 111th Street,
in a section of upper Manhattan known as East Harlem. They shared those quarters
with Engine Company 91, who are still located there. Their first apparatus was a
1913 American LaFrance 65 foot aerial, one of the very first motorized aerials
in FDNY. On February 1, 1974, Ladder Company 43 moved to a new fire station a
few blocks away, at 1836 Third Avenue, which they share with Engine Company 53.
Their first alarm area consists mainly of old tenements, plus several high-rise
housing projects, hospitals and numerous retail stores. They have been one of
the busiest FDNY ladder companies for many years. In 2007, they were the third
busiest ladder in the entire city, with 4,475 runs, of which 3,333 were workers.
Many members of this company have been awarded individual medals for heroism,
with the company itself receiving many unit citations. Their apparatus is a 2001
Seagrave 100 foot Rearmount Aerial, with FDNY registration number SL01018,
placed in service here on November 19, 2001.
More images available, click to enlarge.
All Code 3 Fire
Trucks & Emergency Vehicles are:
Mint in Dome